Homemade Christmas gifts are a yummy treat
I love giving thoughtful homemade Christmas gifts to friends and neighbors. Every Christmas, I make plates of cookies and chocolates to give out to send some holiday cheer. This year, these two simple treats will make their way onto the trays. Sometimes when you are in a rush and you need something quick, chocolate mint truffles and chocolate covered pretzels are easy to make and delicious treats.
Recipes for homemade gifts
I made these homemade treats to share with some teachers at my daughter’s preschool recently. My daughter was even able to help me with them. Older kids can make these edible Christmas crafts for kids as well with little supervision. A quick dessert for guests, or as a homemade Christmas gift for friends and family, these treats are sure to please.
Ingredients for chocolate covered pretzels:
— Pretzel rods
— One package chocolate almond bark
— Non-pareils sprinkles
— Wax paper covered cookie sheet
1. Melt almond bark on the stove in a double boiler. Once thoroughly melted, allow to cool for about one or two minutes.
2. Use a tablespoon to spoon almond bark over ¾ of the pretzel rod. Continue to turn the rod until thoroughly covered.
3. Place on wax paper covered cookie sheet and sprinkle with non-pareils. Allow to harden before handling. Almond bark will begin to harden after about ten minutes.
Ingredients for mint chocolate truffles:
— One package of mint Oreo cookies
— One 8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened
— 2 8oz. packages of baker’s semi-sweet chocolate
1. Begin by crushing the mint Oreos in a Cuisinart or by hand with a rolling pin.
2. Mix softened cream cheese in with the Oreos.
3. Form into small balls.
4. Allow to harden in refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, melt chocolate in a double boiler on the stove. Once thoroughly melted, allow to cool a couple of minutes.
6. Place Oreo balls in the chocolate and spoon over additional chocolate until thoroughly covered. Use a slotted spoon to remove Oreo ball from chocolate.
7. Place on wax paper lined cookie sheet and allow to harden.
Combining these two chocolate covered treats on a festive plate will delight both guests and gift receivers. Once you wrap them up in some colorful wrapping and tie them with a pretty bow, or simply place in a box or acetate bag and tie with ribbon, you have wonderful homemade Christmas gifts that your friends and neighbors will enjoy this holiday season.