Making a pinecone wreath is the perfect craft for Christmas
Nothing says Christmas like a pinecone wreath. I’ve bought many at craft fairs and I’ve loved every one of them — until, that is, I realized how easy they were to make myself. There are so many variations of pinecone wreaths that you won’t believe how easy it is to make one that’s totally unique and original to your own family.
Don’t worry if you don’t have pinecones handy — you can easily buy them at a local craft store. Better yet, you can get wonderfully yummy cinnamon scented pine cones at most department stores as Christmas draws near. That gives you best of both worlds — Christmas crafts with Christmas smell!
If possible, though, go for a walk and gather a wide variety of pinecones from nature. You can find them even in winter, and it’s a great family activity.
Making your own pinecone wreath
What You Need:
-Brown spray paint
-Hot glue gun
-Decorative elements (bells, ribbons, etc.)
What to do:
1. Spray paint the wreath form brown.
2. Organize your pinecones by size: spread them out over the table so that you won’t wind up with all the big ones on the same side!
3. Begin gluing the pinecones in place. Keep them close together and make sure you fill in empty spaces with smaller pine cones. It’s a good idea to lay the wreath flat as you work — that way, you know that when you finish it will lay flat against the door or wall.
4. Step back and look at your wreath to see if there are any holes that need filling.
5. Add your decorations. Great ideas might include branches, berries, pieces of greenery, ribbons, bows, bells, and the like. You can get extremely creative with pinecone wreaths.
6. If you want to, you can also create an insert for the middle of the wreath. A very easy one is a number of cardboard gingerbread men cutouts. Paint them brown, decorate them, and stick them together before attaching them to the wreath’s center.
Enjoying Christmas crafts is partially related to how useful you find that craft. One of the things I really love about pinecone wreaths is that they remain useful and attractive for years to come. On the other hand, they also make great gifts, so you can make new ones every year as a family.
Pinecone wreaths make an extremely easy and fun craft. No matter how many people are involved, no matter their ages, everyone can enjoy the fun and simplicity of this easy Christmas craft. Go on a winter walk today and get ready to enjoy your very own pinecone wreath!